Between 2016 and 2019, the CSIR and its partners have investigated the anticipated impact that a changing climate and growing urban population will have on the settlements and key resources of South Africa. Users of the Green Book are guided through the research and evidence in a series of 11 story maps that explains the:
- Vulnerability of South African municipalities, settlements and neighbourhoods
- The anticipated impact of a growing urban population under a medium and high growth scenario
- The changes projected for South Africa’s climate under a low and high mitigation scenario
- The extent of hydro-meteorological hazards in South Africa, and the impact of a changing climate on these hydro-meteorological hazards
- The impact of a changing climate on South Africa’s economy, agriculture, forestry and fisheries sector, surface water and groundwater
For each of the story maps, a detailed peer-reviewed technical report is included under the Methodology section.